I have chosen The Coca-Cola Company to evaluate for this assignment. This particular company has made a big splash in the digital world, using multiple media platforms as a means to reach out to consumers. I was most impressed with The Coca- Cola Company’s online magazine Coca-Cola Journey. This online magazine is a great way for consumers to find about everything that the company is doing. It includes everything from listings of products to partnerships to philanthropy. Another thing that I found interesting in the magazine was the company’s attempt to appeal to the “green people” of the world by introducing “Plantbottle Technology.” The Coca-Cola Company, along with many partners, have started making a shift towards using packaging made completely of plant material in an effort to reduce harmful chemicals in the environment. http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/infographic-innovating-beyond-the-bottle
Coca-Cola also utilizes Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to reach out to consumers. A photo of the Coca-Cola Zombie Survival Kit (shown below) was posted across all three platforms on the same day as the hit tv show The Walking Dead had its season premiere. This was a smart move using an already popular tv show and incorporating Coca-Cola into the mix.
I would suggest that The Coca-Cola Company promote its magazine a little better, perhaps by utilizing Facebook, twitter, and Instagram. I did not even know that the magazine existed and it is an excellent way to keep up with all things Coca-Cola. Another thing that I would suggest is the company providing consumers with a way to get involved with the product. The Share A Coke Campaign blew up big and I would love to see Coca-Cola continue to use this type of advertising.
This project was the most tedious yet. I had to rearrange my ads many times. I tried to keep up consistency throughout the magazine by using the same font throughout other than accent words, and by keeping the same color scheme for the cover and the contents page. I tried to make it appeals to LSU student my using a tiger on the front page and using a purple and gold color scheme. I was a little confused on where to start the page numbers. The only thing I am not overly satisfied with is the men’s fashion article, but I tried many different things and that was the most appealing layout.
When trying to redo the ad, I tried to keep the same colorful, girlly essence of the original ad, but in a more uniformed way. I corrected the proximity, as the original ad displayed no form of hierarchy. I also toned down the in your face craziness, by sticking to one font and only two colors. I liked how the ad was colorful, so I tried to keep up that look but I turned down the transparency of the colorful background so that it did not over power, the information. I chose to omit some of the phrases on the original ad as I did not feel that the portrayed professionalism and some were just down right raunchy. I am pretty satisfied with how my ad turned out the only thing that I real do not like is that there is a hard edge on the image of the face, I couldn’t figure out how to blend it.
I chose the word “outgoing” because I think of myself as a very outgoing person so I thought it only fit. I chose a novelty font because when I think of outgoing I think “outside the box” and I believe that is the feeling you get when using Blackmoor LET. I to place the text dead center of the page, because when your outgoing, you aren’t afraid to stand out from the crowd. Which is why the hot pink color of the text is perfect, because it catches your eye and demands to be noticed. word vis comm
I felt that this project forced me to become more comfortable with InDesign. Although it was tedious, I became more comfortable with using all the tools. I wish we would have had less guidelines and been able to come up with our own restaurant idea and menu, but overall I enjoyed it. vis comm menu project
I actually really liked this assignment. It was fun to come up with a business name and idea and figure out which fonts and colors worked and which ones really really did not. The most difficult part of this assignment was learning to add the smoke. It proved to be very tedious to have to keep switching layers and sending things to the back. But I figured out how to change the transparency of certain layers and I am pleased with the final outcome. Burkett_businesscards
I actually really liked this assignment. It was fun to come up with a business name and idea and figure out which fonts and colors worked and which ones really really did not. The most difficult part of this assignment was learning to add the smoke. It proved to be very tedious to have to keep switching layers and sending things to the back. But I figured out how to change the transparency of certain layers and I am pleased with the final outcome.